Is your home’s wiring safe? How to know if you need an electrician.

Signs your home’s wiring is not safe.

Are you confident your home’s wiring is up to safety standards? Many homeowners aren’t aware of the potential risks they’re taking by not having their wiring inspected regularly. In this post, we’ll outline some of the dangers of faulty wiring and how you can ensure your home is safe. 

Keep reading to keep your home safe from electrical problems and fires!

 

Table of Contents

  • Circuit breakers trip often.
  • Lights flicker
  • Crackling or buzzing sound
  • You have aluminum wiring or knob and tube
  • Frayed wiring
  • Warm outlets or wiring
  • Smoke coming from outlet or burn marks
  • Electrical burning smell

Home electrical fires account for about 51,000 fires each year, nearly 500 deaths, over 1,400 injuries, and $1.3 billion in property damage.

Firefighters at house fire

Do your circuit breakers trip often?

A constantly tripped circuit breaker can be annoying and disruptive, especially if you don’t know what the issue is. If you have an older home, it’s possible that your individual circuits are being overloaded with too many appliances and fixtures. 

 

In this case, the best course of action is to have a professional inspect your whole electrical system and make any necessary upgrades. A local electrician will be able to assess your situation and recommend the best course of action. In some cases, simply upgrading your breaker panel will be enough to solve the problem. 


However, if your home has outdated wiring, you may need to have the electrical system replaced. Regardless of the cause, tripped circuit breakers are not something you should ignore. Be sure to consult a professional so they can help keep your home safe.

Electrical contractors, circuit breakers, local electrician.

Do your lights flicker for no reason?

A variety of factors can cause flickering or dimming lights. Sometimes, it may be because of a loose light bulb or an incompatible dimmer switch. However, flickering and dimming can also be caused by bad wiring, such as an overloaded circuit or a faulty electrical component. 

If you notice your lights flickering or dimming regularly, it’s important to contact an electrical contractor as soon as possible. They will ‌diagnose the problem and make the ‌repairs. Ignoring the problem could cause electrical fires or other serious damage to your home.

It could be time for a new light fixture as well.

You hear crackling or buzzing sound coming from your outlets.

If you hear significant buzzing or crackling from an outlet or switch, it’s time to call in a professional electrical contractor. Three issues can create humming or buzzing sounds: a loose wire, an overloaded wire, or an improperly grounded wire. 

Each of these situations is a fire hazard, so you shouldn’t try to fix the problem yourself. A qualified electrical contractor will be able to quickly diagnose the issue and make the necessary repairs. In the meantime, avoid using the outlet or switch until it has been fixed. Taking electrical safety precautions now can help prevent a potentially dangerous situation in the future.

Ancient Vintage Rusted Outdoor Electrical Fuses Boxes Holders

If your home has aluminum or knob-and-tube wiring, it’s time to upgrade to a safer electrical system. These types of wiring are outdated and could be dangerous due to sheer age and inferior design. The wiring itself isn’t a problem; aluminum conducts electricity safely. The trouble is at the connections. 

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) reports that homes with aluminum wiring are 55 times more likely to have “fire hazard conditions” than homes wired with copper. If you’re not sure whether your home has aluminum wiring, contact an electrical service provider for an inspection. It’s better to be safe than sorry when it comes to electrical fires.

You see frayed wires or exposed wiring.

Frayed wires are not only a shock hazard, but they can also lead to fires. If you see any signs of fraying, it’s important to replace the wires as soon as possible. Many New Jersey licensed electrician say, “The fraying of cables may also lead to a fire. A frayed electrical cord can smolder and produce deadly carbon monoxide. The damaged cable may also cause the insulation surrounding it to melt, which gives off toxic fumes and a fire hazard.“ They recommend that homeowners have their wiring checked by a professional every few years to prevent any potential problems.

Your outlets are warm or the wiring is hot.

To the untrained eye, it may not be immediately obvious what’s causing the outlets to be warm. However, if you’re noticing hot or vibrating spots on outlets or walls, it’s definitely time to call in a professional. The most common reason for this issue is that the outlet is being overworked. 

Every electrical outlet has a certain amount of voltage that it can handle before beginning to overheat. So, if you’re noticing hot spots, it means that the outlet is likely being used beyond its limits. Besides causing potential damage to your home, this can also create a fire hazard. 

It’s important to hire a qualified electrician to assess the situation and make any necessary repairs. By taking this precaution, you can help keep your home safe and avoid any costly damages.

Burned ac Power Plugs and Sockets

There is smoke coming from your outlet or it has burn marks.

When you see smoke coming from electrical outlets or appliances, it’s time to take action. While you could test the electrical components of your appliances to troubleshoot further, it’s safest to get professional appliance repair and electrical services immediately.

 

Our team of electrical contractors is here to help. We’re highly experienced in dealing with many electrical issues, and we can help you understand the problem quickly and safely. Don’t take any chances with electrical problems – contact us today!

You smell electrical wires burning.

If you notice any of the aforementioned signs, it’s important to take immediate action and consult with a local electric service provider. Electrical fires are one of the leading causes of property damage and injuries, so it’s vital to make sure that your home’s wiring is up to code and in good condition. 


An experienced electrician will be able to quickly assess the situation and determine the best course of action. Sometimes, simply tightening a loose screw or connection can solve the problem. However, in more serious cases, it may be necessary to rewire the entire outlet. In either case, it’s important to take care of the problem as soon as possible to avoid any further damage or risk of injury.

Electrical Inspections Save Property & Lives

If you have any of these unsafe wiring problems in your home, do not way to get an licensed electrician to inspect your home’s wiring. They will be able to find the electrical problem. Then fix, repair or replace the faulty wiring, so you can have peace of mind. Get an electrical inspection today. Click the button below to get started.

Electrical Contractors Service Area in Atlantic County, NJ

Absecon
Atlantic City
Brigantine
Buena
Corbin City
Egg Harbor Township
Estell Manor

Folsom
Galloway Township
Hamilton Township
Hammonton Township
Linwood
Longport
Margate City

Mullica
Northfield
Pleasantville
Port Republic
Somers Point
Ventnor City
Weymouth

FREE Electrical Services Quote
Get a Fast, Friendly Electric Project Quote Today! Please fill out the form with as much detail so we can help you solve your problem. If you have an emergency type service, please call 856-214-2710.

Leave a Reply